Skip to main content

Open Mandriva Lx 3.01 Review : A Sweet Nostalgia

It has been 10 years, since I've been using Linux as my productive, daily operating system from early 2007. I have tried many Linux distros, but my first distro was Mandriva One 2007. At the time, Mandriva Linux was a star among Desktop Linux distributions. It was beautiful, very easy to use, and the most important thing was : it supported restricted multimedia formats by default.

I was very sad when I heard Mandriva is finally discontinued in 2010. You never forget anything, anyone or any brand you have used for the first time. Mandriva is like my first, gorgeous, lovely girlfriend that I would never forget forever.

Community Reborn
In 2012, Mandriva community continued to maintain Mandriva Linux and rebranded it as 'OpenMandriva Lx'. Later, the community released OpenMandriva Lx 2013. Until now, OpenMandriva Lx is recognized as the official continuation of the Mandriva Linux. There are also another forks of Mandriva Linux : PCLinuxOS, Mageia, anda ROSA Linux.

OpenMandriva Lx 3.01
OpenMandriva community released an updated version OpenMandriva Lx 3.01 in Christmas 2016. It comes with Linux kernel 4.9.0 and KDE Plasma Desktop 5.8.4. 



OpenMandriva Control Center
OpenMandriva control center is a sophisticated control center. It controls everything of our OpenMandriva system : software management, hardware, network, sytem, network sharing, disk partition, security and boot options.  Back in my old days, Mandriva Control Center was probably the most high-end tool in Linux desktop. It really helped me as a newbie to rock around my Desktop Linux system.



























Pre-installed Applications
Just like its predecessor, OpenMandriva Lx 3.01 comes with a bunch of complete applications. There are VLC, Clementine, SMPlayer (my favorite video player), Krita, Kdenlive, Libreoffice and many other useful apps.
























Software Repository
I've successfully installed some additional apps like Chromium Browser, Audacious, GIMP, and others using OpenMandriva Lx's default repository. Despite it's not as complete as Ubuntu repository, OpenMandriva Lx repo is beyond enough for daily basis.

Installation
The installation is very easy and simple. Advanced partitioning also presents and has complete options. 


Memory Consumption
Surprisingly, OpenMandriva Lx 3.01 (64bit) consumes a relatively very little amount of memory. It only uses about 500 MB of RAM.

Desktop Themes
OpenMandriva Lx 3.01 uses KDE Plasma 5.8 default themes, which is good enough. I love the overall look, especially its lock and logout screen.



Conclusion
OpenMandriva Lx 3.01 is a perfect desktop. Everything works just fine, no trouble. Personally, it is a very very sweet nostalgia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ubuntu Kylin 19.04 Review : A Gorgeous Windows 10 Clone

It's been quite a while since the last post I wrote in this blog. My daily life prevents me to write another stuff about Linux Desktop, and now I'm curious to take a look to the Ubuntu Kylin 19.04. Ubuntu is always be my favorite distro. It supports huge number of hardwares, it has probably the largest Linux software repository. It is also --the most important thing-- very easy to install, even for beginners.  But for some couple of years, because of technical reason, I stopped to play around with the Ubuntu releases. I stood for KDE Neon and became my primary OS because of its simplicity and the look. Few days ago Ubuntu has released its newer version, Ubuntu 19.04 codenamed Disco Dingo. I'm yes impressed by the progress Ubuntu developer has made, especially the way they arrange the GNOME desktop to match the Ubuntu theme. But the most interesting flavor of this release is Ubuntu Kylin. It's an official Ubuntu flavor, designed for Chinese People with its own...

How To Speed Up Your KDE Plasma Desktop (KDE4)

KDE is one of the oldest desktop environment in Linux. While GNOME (the other desktop that as old as KDE) is trying to built its own style of user interface, KDE from the beginning seems to mimics the Microsoft Windows' "classic" user interface. Thus, KDE has its own user base, especially for them who still in love with the Windows' philosophy : a simple desktop, with a single taskbar in the bottom, and a start menu in the left. Personally, I love KDE. It's gorgeous and eyecandy. But sometimes, I feel KDE is little bit slow in my older hardwares. So, after some experiences, I've found some tweak how to make KDE Plasma Desktop Runs Faster . 1. Change The Compositing Engine  Go to System Settings>Desktop Effect>Advanced , and change the Compositing type from OpenGL 2.0 to XRender. 2. Remove All Bloatware Apps There are some uneeded apps installed in Kubuntu (my favorite KDE distro) and you could safely remove them. Here are my list : ...

Q4OS 4.6 "Gemini" Review: A Real Hidden Gem

Distro hopping is a fun adventure. It's a pure joy you can only find in GNU/Linux world. It's a nature you want to escape from what I call 'comfort ecosystem'. You need to play, trying something new even for a few little differences. For a long time I've been using Ubuntu family as my daily driver. The main reason is probably just same as any other Ubuntu user: it's reliable. You can't go wrong with Ubuntu. It works almost in any device, even for the newest one. It is the ultimate Linux distro you can rely on. However, sometimes, you will feel bored. The temptation to flirt with other new distro is unbearable. There are a lot of hot new Linux distros waiting to try.  A Real Hidden Gem I've known this distro for a quite long time. At first, it offered Trinity Desktop as the main desktop, which brings me the sweet memories about KDE3. It is simply fast, stable, almost without any issue, and it is based on Debian. I install it on my old machine and I love t...