Skip to main content

Why Do I Choose Ubuntu? (A Personal Opinion)



So many people always complain about why do Ubuntu has so many bugs. As a long-time Ubuntu user, in one side, I agree with those, but in overall, my standpoint is still unchanged and maybe will never be : I always satisfied enough by using Ubuntu Linux.


These are the reasons why do I still and always choose Ubuntu :


1. I Don't Have Good Internet Connection, And I Don't Connect To The Internet Everyday

I'm an Indonesian, and for now, “good Internet connection”, in Indonesia is still expensive. Yes, many GSM providers offers “unlimited” broadband connection, but they're volume based. That mean, you will only get full speed of broadband access in the limit of your data quota. There are various offers of broadband access by GSM or CDMA provider, depend on their specific price offering. Cheaper price, littler data quota; and more expensive, bigger data quota. They're started with 256 MB into 5 GB data quota/month.


And the most miserable thing of that, after you use all your quota end, you will only get shared speed 64 Kb/s of Internet access. Shared speed here means 64 Kb/s for users in your connection coverage of the provider that you're using. In actual, you will only get speed under 4 Kb/s (that is horrible, isn't that?).


So, the cheaper and easier way to get Internet connection is by wi-fi hotspot, or by Internet cafe (in Indonesian, it's called Warnet).


2. I Love Debian Package Management

For long ago I'd sought an easiest package management in Linux, and finally, I've found dpkg. With apt and synaptic, Debian based Linux system, for me, is perfect. Gdebi is also great for me and very-very usable.


3. I Love Ubuntu Regular Release

Ubuntu has 6 months regular release cycle. I do love this way. Debian stable release with no certainty in the cycle, but Ubuntu has its own every 6 months release cycle. This way make me easier to download packages in Ubuntu repository manually and particularly, by just select the Ubuntu version I'm using. In Debian, it is more complicated. We must choose and find, which is the most appropriate version of the dependencies for the package we are searching, because there are stable, testing, unstable (sid) Debian version.


Critics and Hopes :

1. Ubuntu Software Center

Since 11.04, Ubuntu has decided to use Unity instead of “Pure Gnome”. For me, it is doesn't matter. I was discomfort with Unity, but it is okay. I still could choose another choices like Lubuntu or Xubuntu, or Fallback-Mode. But, one big thing that I've been really disappointed is the removing and replacing of synaptic and gdebi with Ubuntu Software Center.


For me, Ubuntu Software Center is heavy and extremely rigid. I couldn't install third parties apps like I did with gdebi. Yes I agree that Ubuntu Software Center is good looking and modern, but it is so heavy and not flexible. In gdebi, I could install any third party software, or install a particular package easily and safe. I also use gdebi to know which packages I have to download manually to complete the dependency chain. I know, Ubuntu Software Center is a part of the Ubuntu future, but we must consider that major Ubuntu users is PC/laptop/netbook users and abandon the “traditional” aspect of this is not good :)


I hope, in the next release, gdebi and synaptic will be brought back, and Ubuntu Software Center will be just a “Software Center” for newbie users, not the default package manager to open and manage deb files. Bring back synaptic and gdebi. Those are really precious :)


2. Banshee

Since I knew Banshee in openSUSE long time ago, I didn't like this app. Banshee is more heavy than Rhythmbox and its association to video files is absolutely useless. Banshee is not a video player, and so play video by this app is a worst thing. Then, banshee is a mono-based app and this app didn't run well in Ubuntu. When I close this app, this app still ran as a background task.


In 11.04 and 11.10, I can say, Ubuntu decision to use Banshee is a mistake, and I hope, in the next release, Ubuntu will never again, use this app. Just bring back rhythmbox, or give us a fresh, pretty and sophisticated useful music manager Clementine. It is a great Qt based music manager, a modern fork of the very popular Amarok 1.4 music player, but doesn't need kderuntime. Since 11.10 Ubuntu used Qt based unity-2d, I think put this app as defualt is make sense. Personally, I do love this app so much. For very long time I used Amarok 1.4 and now I use Clementine as my default music player.



Conclusion :

Because of those, I always feel comfort to use Ubuntu as my default and “official” operating system in my computer. Of course, because of its bugs, I have to Google, Google and Google. I use Ubuntu for all my needs. I use GIMP and Kolourpaint to edit images. I use SMplayer to play videos. I use Libreoffice to edit documents. I use Clementine to play and manage music files. I use Openshot to edit videos, and so many other big works I've done with Ubuntu. Wish Ubuntu will be more big, mature and stable :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q4OS 4.6 "Gemini" Review: A Real Hidden Gem

Distro hopping is a fun adventure. It's a pure joy you can only find in GNU/Linux world. It's a nature you want to escape from what I call 'comfort ecosystem'. You need to play, trying something new even for a few little differences. For a long time I've been using Ubuntu family as my daily driver. The main reason is probably just same as any other Ubuntu user: it's reliable. You can't go wrong with Ubuntu. It works almost in any device, even for the newest one. It is the ultimate Linux distro you can rely on. However, sometimes, you will feel bored. The temptation to flirt with other new distro is unbearable. There are a lot of hot new Linux distros waiting to try.  A Real Hidden Gem I've known this distro for a quite long time. At first, it offered Trinity Desktop as the main desktop, which brings me the sweet memories about KDE3. It is simply fast, stable, almost without any issue, and it is based on Debian. I install it on my old machine and I love t

How To Install Mac OS X Lion Theme On Lubuntu / LXDE

Lubuntu 12.04 with Mac OS X Lion Theme, xcompmgr & cairo-dock [click to enlarge] Mac OS X is the special one in the Desktop market. So many people admire it because of its beauty, safety (yes, it is an UNIX) and its profesional image as “an OS for profesional modern art designer”. Yeah, Mac OS X has beautiful look and I do like its look-n-feel. And so, there are so many theme patcher to make our Microsoft Windows or Linux OS become Mac OS X in the appearance. In Linux Desktop, there are some project specialized in designing theme transformation pack to make our Linux desktop to be looked like Mac OS X. The most popular project probably is Mac4Lin. But, all of those projects was designed only for GNOME or sometimes support XFCE and how about LXDE? Our Star in the current lightweight Linux desktop? (Yes, LXDE is the most light-but-complete Linux desktop for now). Until now, there is no project that officially support LXDE. Basically, LXDE uses gtk (now still stay w

Howto Connect To Windows Share Network (Connect To Server) Easily in PCManFM

In Nautilus 3.4, Nemo, or Caja, there is a very useful menu called "Connect to Server". This menu allow us to connect to a Windows Share network via Samba. If you are using another desktop environment such as LXDE, there aren't such menu, and we need to install third party tool called Gigolo . But apparently, PCManFM (the default file manager of LXDE) already has such function. We could connect to a Windows Share network in PCManFM easily. Here are the simple steps : 1. Open PCManFM and go to adress bar, and type this command : smb://username@server/folder example : smb://staff@192.168.1.69/document then press Enter 2. Once you will be asked to input the Windows Share Network password (if exists), select Remember Forever option. 3. You are connected to Windows Share Network ;)